Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Never mind about the rain.

So Mother Nature loves to prove me wrong. Since the blog about how much its been raining here, it hasn´t rained. It has been hot and sunny here in the past two weeks with clear skies. Now I´ve recently been told that the rainy season means its rains for spurts then doesn't rain for a while. So really, its just kind of like spring time in the U.S.? I´ve been told that August and September are really wet months here but I´ve also been told the rainy season (right now) cools down Corinto and, in reality, it is still 95 degrees at 9am everyday.

Anyways, I actually have grown accustomed to the weather here and have lost the ability to imagine what ¨cold¨feels like. This means its perfect timing for me to take a brief vacation to the cold region of the country. This coming Friday I will be travelling to Esteli which is in the northern mountainous regionof the country. I´ve been told that its gets cold there during the night and sometimes you even need a sweatshirt! I´m going there to meet up with the majority of my training group to celebrate two girls´ birthdays. Our training group (20 of us) spent 2.5 months together in classes and living together in training towns. But, since we swore in as volunteers on March 30th and all left for our sites in different parts of Nicaragua, we haven´t seen each other. We are all going to meet up at a nature reserve that has cabins, hiking trails and lakes so it should be a great time to catch up with everyone, hear funny stories and speak english!

In Peace Corps they talk about the 3 month hump. This is the first three months at your site when you are still adjusting to the new people, the language, the work, living situation and the culture. Most volunteers say that this is the hardest part of their service, and since it is almost June 30th, everyone in my training group is about to pass the three month hump. So in a way this get together will also we to celebrate that. I´m sure there will be difficult times in our future, but by now most of us at least feel at home in our sites and settled into our jobs.

This will be my first time away from my site in the 3 months that I´ve been here and I´ve been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks now. It will be nice to see a different part of the country and hang out with Americans (especially so close to the 4th of July). Anyways, I hope all is well with everyone else...

Have a good 4th of July and eat lots of BBQ for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to see you in 3 days!!!

Love you!

Laura