Wednesday, March 07, 2007

More Pictures!

So this is a class room in Nicaragua. See my post below to read more about the schools in Nicaragua. If you recall, I have been working with a youth group while I have been here in Sta. Teresa. We meet to hang out, but primarily we were working on a project. The kids chose there own project, they wanted to give a talk in the school about environmental health (clean water, throw away garbage, etc.). So we had a youth group of about 14 kids but we decided to divide them in two groups and each group would give a different talk in different classrooms. Another trainee and I worked with a group of six, and the two other trainees worked with the other 8 kids. These pictures were taken while the kids were carrying out their project in the schools. This was the same school that I gave my HIV talk in.



Two members of our youth group describing what makes up a healthy community.



This was the group that we worked with (one dropped out because she was too busy with school). Their names from left to right are: Ruth - 16, Walquiria - 14, Hoksom - 16, Jefferson - 16 and Jared - 20. Their name are kind of surprising, but most of the young people names here are very uncommon, either uncommon English names or uncommon Spanish names. They are a lot more unique with their naming of children here. Walquiria is my host-cousin and lives next door to me, so I hang out with her a lot. The others stop by a lot too so I see them about every other day. We were really worried about how the actual project would turn out because they were super nervous when they practiced and were really worried about actually doing it in front of the classroom. But they did an awesome job and didn't show their nerves at all. The other trainee and I were like proud parents as we watched them do their thing on their own.


This picture is super old. It was taken after I had been in Nicaragua for only two days. I realized that I never posted it. This is the group that I am living with in Santa Teresa. From left to right is Kadesha, Lisa, Danielle, and me. Danielle is living with Walquiria´s family. So we live right next door to each other and we hang out with each others families a lot. Lisa and Danielle are both from Boston and Kadesha and I are both from Chicago...kind of random how that worked out. Danielle and I worked together with the group of kids that is pictured above and Kadesha and Lisa worked with the other group. We get along with each other really well which is great because we spend a lot of time together in class or working with our youth group. This picture is really old...we are all much more tan and my hair isn´t quite as razor short. I´ll try to put up a recent pic of me....eventually.
And this is just for fun. It was a big mural in one of the buildings we were in and I thought it was beautiful. I currently have it on the background of my computer...I suggest you do the same.

No comments: